Speedy Roasted Tomato and Pepper Soup
Updated: Sep 9
On my recent visit to Frensham Garden Centre Food Hall, I found delicious Isle of Wight tomatoes. I spent all of my childhood summers on the Island at my grandparents’ house & they remind me of the tomatoes my grandpa used to grow in his greenhouse. I also remember it never raining!!
They also had IOW passata & lovely red peppers and garlic, so I whizzed up this yummy roasted red pepper and tomato soup for lunch. Its quick and easy and makes a change from sandwiches!
What you need:
1 red onion, sliced
4 red peppers, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled
2 tbsp olive oil
500g cherry toms
1-2 tbsp sundried tomato pesto
300ml veg stock
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Basil to garnish
What to do:
1. Preheat oven to 220, fan 200C, gas 6
2. Place the onion, pepper garlic and tomatoes in a roasting tin. Drizzle with olive oil and roast in the oven for 15-20 mins until softer and slightly charred.
3. Transfer to a saucepan with the passata, pesto and veg stock. Cook for 5 mins until veg are soft.
4. Whizz with the hand blander or in a food processor until smooth. Add a splash of water / stock if you like it thinner.
5. Season and serve drizzled with olive oil and a sprig of basil.
Steph's Top Tips
You can use chopped vine tomatoes in place of cherry toms.
Make some crispy croutons to go on top. Saute cubes of bread in olive oil and chopped garlic.